Friday, December 15, 2006

How did it all Begin??

Gazing back, Jayesh & Nova were the first blokes whom I had known to be passionate about cycling. This was probably 5 years back in time. But given the wise like grip that rock climbing had on my grey matter; cycling never got the due attention until I started making a few forays into the park (SGNP- during the 2004 monsoons). From then on, have been fed on an assorted dosage of Tour de France & other relevant biking gyan; gaining momentum with the passage of time.

This was also the time, when I was desperately looking @ finding a suitable replacement / alternative to climbing (I guess, it has to do with my short interest span with every activity). To say that, the sport of rock climbing & the people associated with the sport have influenced my thinking & development would be an understatement. However, today as I am on the verge of starting a new phase of my career, the impact that climbing has on me has been steadily declining. It no longer seems to evoke – excite nor inspire me as much as it used to. All said, the group as a whole seems to lack the energy & passion of yore.

Having tried my hands @ Astronomy, HAM radio, bird watching & the likes; was unable to find an activity that was as intense, exciting & invigorating as climbing. The trip to Hampi in 2003, is what ignited my affair with the pedal pushing m/c.

Shifting to Belapur, has helped fuel interest in the sport to a different plane. Vast open stretches of land with an assortment of up-hills make Belapur an ideal cycling country. A second hand cycle worth rs 500/- was the ideal foil to fuel my plans. Apart from providing me with an opportunity to explore the places around Belapur, managed to do a few long distance stretches between Belapur & Panvel. A chance interaction with an adrenalin junkie by the name Bong, helped give definite shape & structure to my cycling aspirations. The objective as I had laid out then, was to:

1) Mumbai – Goa cycling in Dec 2006, to analyse how well I handled the bike, luggage & self on a long n solo trip

2) Hercules Himachal biking challenge in 2007

3) Srinagar – Leh – Manali : 1500 km of high altitude cycling, spanning 1 month or more.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home